Saturday, January 23, 2010

Birthday Boy!

Today marks one year since our precious baby boy was born. I can hardly believe that it's already been a year. It has been an amazing year and it has sure been fun to watch him grow.


Things have really changed over this past year. Just a year and a few days ago, Jon and I would sit and play Guitar Hero for hours on end. I was on bedrest and Jon had been laid off, so we honed up on our GH skills. ;) To this day Eli goes crazy when we break out the guitars. He loves it! He'll sit and scream and clap his hands in excitement. He must remember hearing all of those songs time and time again in mommy's belly!

He has developed quite the personality too. He's very easy-going and happy, but when he does get upset he has quite the little temper. He gets that from his daddy. I looked at him just a couple of days ago while I was holding him. Our eyes met and I said, "You're not a baby anymore. You're a toddler." He really looks like a toddler now. I've really noticed it a lot over the past couple of weeks.

We moved into the house he'll grow up in at the end of August. He quickly mastered the stairs and occasionally now he'll disappear and then we'll hear him babbling upstairs. Occasionally we forget the baby gate and he can climb the stairs in about thirty seconds. Parenting...FAIL. :)

He's trying very hard to walk. He stands up all the time and can balance himself for a couple of minutes. He takes steps every now and then. He does better with his left leg than his right but it won't be long before he has it completely figured out.

We've been through two babysitters and he's loved both of them. We are so blessed to have a babysitter that loves him as much as she does and we couldn't be happier with her. Here she is with her cute kiddos.


Eli cut six teeth in his first year and is showing a major interest in real food. He hasn't taken bottles well this past week and I can't help but wonder if he's trying to tell us something. When he's at the babysitter's he will crawl to her pantry, clap his hands and squeal, and wait for her to get him a snack. His most favorite snack is cheese balls. He loves them so much his sitter bought him a giant barrel of them for his birthday. He can even open them himself!


Obviously we had a big party with close family and friends to celebrate Eli's big day. He got all kinds of neat new toys and played SO hard all day. His Aunt Carrie made him his very own personalized toy box (which we're going to need for all of his new toys!).

Grandma and Grandpa bought him a "Tow Mater" Ride-a-long. He absolutely loves it!

Eli's Aunt Carrie not only made him the coolest toy box ever, but she made him his super cute birthday cake. I gave her very little to go off of for design and she did a fantastic job!



After the party ended and all the guests were gone, Eli played his little heart out with all of his new toys. With not even an eye rub I could tell he was out of gas and scooped him up and read him a book and laid him down for a nap. He slept for two hours. When he woke up he had a bottle and then passed out again for the night. It's tiring having a birthday!

It's been an amazing year and I am very much looking forward to his second year. He's such a joy and we're so blessed to have him in our lives. I love you, Eli!


Children, obey your parents in the Lord, for this is right. Honor your father and mother - which is the first commandment with a promise - that it may go well with you and that you may enjoy long life on the earth.

Fathers, do not exasperate your children; instead, bring them up in the training and instruction of the Lord.
-Ephesians 6:1-4

1 comment:

Kathy said...

awww happy birthday! (He does look like a toddler!!)