It all started on 3/27 around 10:30pm. I started having some contractions while laying around watching TV. They weren't very painful but were about 2-5 minutes apart (typical contractions for me) so I didn't think anything of it. By the time it was lights out they had gotten a little more painful. I decided not to do anything about it yet and just go to bed. I knew that if I could sleep through them it was no big deal. I was able to get some sleep that night so I figured that if I got up and was still having them that I would call the OB office when they opened. Well, 5:30 came quickly and up I got to get ready for work. Every few minutes I'd stop what I was doing and lean forward and hold onto something as I had a contraction. I continued to get ready for work and went in at my normal time and waited for the OB office to open. I called as soon as they opened and was sent to labor and delivery. A co-worker took me to the hospital and I sent a text to Jon to let him know what was going on.
I got checked in and was put in a room. A nurse came in a checked me and at the time I was 3-4cm dilated and 80% effaced. I was not expecting to be that far dilated yet so that came as a surprise to me. I texted Jon again to update him and let some other family and friends know what was going on just in case I was admitted. At this point I was still telling Jon to stay at work because I had a feeling I'd be sent home since I was still just barely 36 weeks. I laid there and waited for to doctor to come in while keeping everyone updated via text message. The pain was getting much more intense at this point so I finally requested some pain meds (love Nubain!). The nurse put in an IV for hydration and gave me my pain meds. Around 10:30 the doctor came in and told me that I was in fact having a baby that day and asked if I was ready. "Umm, no, but I suppose I have to be don't I?!"
I immediately called Jon and my mom to let them know that it was D-Day and to get their butts to the hospital. Jon was super excited and hurried down, while I was just in shock that it was all even happening. My dad was the first to show up and before long Jon was there with me and all of our parents had arrived. I was transferred to a delivery room and was admitted. I was started on antibiotics since I never was checked for GBS. I was pretty comfortable for a little while and was able to relax a little and visit with our families.
I started to lose track of time, but I think it was around 12:30 when the doctor came in to check me and break my water. I was still at 4cm but she had dropped a lot more by this time. I immediately requested my epidural because I knew that soon my contractions would hurt a lot worse. I didn't have to wait all that long for my epi, but by the time the anesthesiologist arrived I was in more pain than I have ever been in in my life. My contractions had absolutely gotten unbearable and because of the such severe pain the anesthesiologist had a hard time getting my epi in. Once he got it and the meds kicked in I started to feel a lot better. I got very shaky and weak with it though and felt as though I could barely move. At least I wasn't in pain though!
After my epidural my nurse stayed in the room and was doing something on the computer and was asking me a few questions. I don't know exactly how long I laid there after my epi but I think it was only 45 minutes or so at most. I couldn't feel my contractions at all but I did start to feel some pressure. I then asked the nurse if she was going to check me again soon. She grabbed her gloves and checked. Then she grabbed her phone and called the doctor and the NICU to get them on their way. It was time to have a baby!
I started pushing at 2:30pm and at 2:38pm, Krista Nicole was born. She weighed 5lb 2oz and was 20.5in long. She has short, light brown hair and dark blue eyes. She's perfect!
No comments:
Post a Comment