Thursday, August 28, 2008

Pregnancy hormones gone wild!

I'm feeling extra emotional and pathetic today, after last night when for no apparent reason I just started bawling. It was quite silly and I can really only blame the raging hormones in my body for such behavior.

Ever since I found out I was pregnant I have of course been so excited to experience motherhood. It's so hard to grasp what it's really going to be like and the enormous amount of love that will be felt for this child that's growing inside me. I'm not one to read, but through the process of pregnancy I
have read a couple of books. Gasp! I know...amazing isn't it? I have enjoyed the Girlfriends Guide to Pregnancy quite a lot. It's got a fair amount of humor in it yet it tells the truth about pregnancy as well. It doesn't paint a picture perfect nine months that many other books and articles do. Here is one of my favorite excerpts from it:

Telling your mother you are pregnant can be much more fun than you might initially imagine. This is especially true if your mother can say your partner's name without spitting on the ground or seeking a restraining order.

This could be the beginning of a very beautiful relationship because it is the official transformation from being Mommy's little girl into being another woman,
almost equal in stature. You, too, are going to be somebody's mother. You might find yourself thinking about the mother you remember from when you were really small, the way she took care of you and the things she said to you. You are already inclined to be sentimental in your hormone-jostled state, and you may suddenly remember things like the way she used to make a trail of jelly beans from your bedroom door to where your Easter basket was hidden so that you really believed the Easter bunny had been there, or the way she always bought you an ice cream cone after a dentist's visit, and you will sob (a response you will find occurring with much more frequency as the pregnancy progresses).

Unless your mother is Joan Crawford, she will always be interested in your condition and deeply concerned for your well-being (even if most of her actual advice will sound inapplicable to birthing in the twenty-first century). If you think that is kind of nice, just wait until the baby is born. If you are one of many lucky ones, you will notice that your mother seems to love your baby as much as you do, and that is the beginning of the biggest bond in the world.

I feel immensely blessed to be given this opportunity to be a mother. This book really explained the true feelings and never-ending love that come along with motherhood. I can't wait to meet my baby, and I can't wait for the new relationship that I will share with my own mother once I myself am a mom. So much to look forward to!

No comments: